Monday, April 7, 2008

Grapefruit League Update

Want to get a "head's up" on your opponent ? May I suggest playing some Grapefruit League games h2h vs someone from your opposite league (NL play AL...vice versa). I've had the good fortune to play against Ross (Indians) and Steve (Brewers) and you really learn a lot about your team and your opponent's teams. Even more important you see someone else's managerial style. I make no false pretenses to knowing it all. I'm constantly looking to learn something new about the game or about how others manage it. I also need to know if my style has to change to adapt to the dynamics of the team I chose. I'm going to go out on a limb and think that if I manage the 1946 Red Sox like the 2002 offering I'll be lucky enough to win 10 games. By knowing your personnel you can put them in the right situation to succeed. I came to the realization early on that I won't have Mr. Urbina and his 40 saves protecting the 9th inning, so I'd better find a different way to do it.

Bottom line is practice makes perfect !!! Setup a quick 2-4 game series online vs someone else and you'll get a feel for it. Setup 3 or 4 series and you'll really have a firm grasp on your team. I have seen too many guys spend the first 12 games of the season feeling out their team and starting slow. In a 36 game sprint of a season you need to make every game count ! Steve learned that his pitchers seem to have trouble in the early innings. Being an astute baseball man he'll figure out a way to mimimize that damage. He learned that over 7-10 exhibition games. It would have cost him dearly to have learned that in the first 2-3 series of our season.

Good luck to all !

No comments: